1970 – Gulfstream Land and Development Company purchases 5,400 acres (22 km2) for Jacaranda community development; population reaches 23,000. South Plantation High, Plantation Middle and Tropical Elementary Schools open. Friends of the Library founded.
1969 – Frank Veltri, Neil LaHurd and Winslow Freeman are elected to the City Council. Motorola opens facility in Plantation. First Jaycee Christmas Parade is held on November 29th.
City begins “blue bag” garbage system begins in December. Mirror Lake Elementary School opens. Lago Mar Golf Course opens.
1968 – New Plantation Library opens. James Flynn appointed Fire Chief (1968-75). Lawrence W. Sullivan appointed Police Chief (1968-74). Plantation Town Mall opens.
1967 – John Spellacy and John B. Dye Jr. are elected to the City Council. Arnold Schrieber appointed Fire Chief (1967-68).
1966 – Plantation General Hospital opens. Plantation High School and Plantation Park Elementary School open. In June plans are made for extending Sunrise Blvd. from US 441 to Plantation High School.
1965 – Allen R. Gurley and Jack P. LaMarr are elected to the City Council. Plantation Elementary opens. American Heritage opens Plantation school. Population reaches 6,500.
1964 – City purchases 12 acres of land from Fred Peters for city facilities. Fred C. Peters dies on July 18
1963 – Jack L. Carter and John Spellacy are elected to the City Council. Community Center designed by Russell Pancoast is dedicated on May 11th. The Plantation Library moves to the new Community Center. City’s motto, From the Wilderness, this City is made official and a city seal is adopted. Phillip Amman appointed Fire Chief (1963-67).
1962 – Edwin Deicke donated $100,000 for the expansion and renovation of Hoffman Building later renamed the Deicke Auditorium. Chamber of Commerce founded. Populations grows to 6,500. Doctors General Hospital opens in July. First Girl’s Softball team organized by Genevieve Veltri. PAL field dedicated in October. Robert Browning appointed Fire Chief (1962-63). Plantation Chamber of Commerce founded.
1961 – Samuel Hirsch Jr., Winslow Freeman and William Bergey are elected to the City Council. The Plantation Library (established by the Plantation Woman’s Club) opens in Room 24 of Peters Elementary School with Mrs. Helen B. Hoffman as chairwoman. St. Gregory the Great Church dedicated on January 8.
1960 – P.A.L. formed in February. First Fire Station built. In September Hurricane Donna hits South Florida. In March Plantation becomes eligible for home delivery of mail. In the US national election 1504 of the 1575 registered Plantation voters voted. Robert Blakely appointed Fire Chief (1960-62). City creates a Recreation Department. Westgate Shopping Center opens. Plantation Junior Woman’s Club founded. PJWC plans first annual Cabaret show. St. Gregory the Great School opens on September 6.
1959 – James Ward Jr. elected Mayor (1959-71). James P. Downton, Howald Humphries and John Tiedmann are elected to the City Council. First school, Peters Elementary School, dedicated on December 6th. In March residents begin planning for the development of Fig Tree Park. Bus service is extended west to the intersection of Broward Blvd. and US 441. Frank Veltri appointed Fire Chief (1959-60). Hank Donath becomes Plantation’s first Police Chief (1959-68). St. Gregory the Great established on July 23rd, first mass held at Peters Elementary School cafeteria on August 15th.
1958 – Population reaches 1,600. There are 450 occupied homes. A Pony League baseball program started for boys 13–15. Better Boys Bridge constructed. Fire Station #1 built on Broward Blvd. Fred Peters gives ten acres to the school board to build the Berenice Todd Peters Elementary School. Frederick Peters appointed Fire Chief (1958 – 59).
1957 – William Babel, Winslow Freeman and Raymond L. Williams are elected to the City Council. First industrial plant in Plantation – Airpax Products, Co. on Sunrise Blvd. City of Plantation Volunteer Fire Dept. formed. Richard Stephenson is appointed Plantation first Fire Chief (1957-58). In January the Sunshine State Parkway (Turnpike) opens. Plantation Community Church opens July 14th. Parkway Christian Church opens.
1956 – Frederick C. Peters donates land for site of new City Hall. First Annual Fireman’s BBQ held to raise funds for Volunteer Fire Dept. First fire truck (Engine 1) purchased to service the City. James Downton serves as Police Commissioner. City budget is $34,000.
1955 – S. Robinson Estey elected Mayor (1955-59). William Babel, James P. Downton, Clark Baldwin, Paul Stoner and Winslow Freeman are elected to the City Council. Plantation Police Dept. organized, City purchases a police car and one officer (Henry C. Donath) is hired. The first Village Bugle, a monthly newsletter, was published by the Plantation Homeowners Association. A summer Recreation program was begun and was considered a success as 129 children participated. Olympic size pool added to the Plantation Golf Club property.
1953 – April 30th Plantation incorporated as a city. Ellsworth D. Gage appointed first Mayor by Plantation Homeowners Association (1953-55). Paul Stoner, Winslow Freeman, George Bartold, Walter Bartels and W.J. Perry Lohman are elected to the City Council. First City Council meeting held on May 11. Broward Boulevard grows to a four-lane street. Population reaches 475. Old feed warehouse near the intersection of East Acre Drive and Broward Blvd is site of first city hall, first fire station and first police station. Sunset Shopping Center (now Westgate Shopping Center) opens.
1950 – Population reaches 200; Plantation Golf Course and Country Club built to encourage extension of Broward Blvd.
1949 – Plantation Women’s Club founded; Plantation Homeowners organization founded by Dr. Abram Hoffman; 40 homes in the area. Fred T. Peters and his wife Chris move to Peters Farm in Plantation.
1948 – 12 homes in the area; population reaches 36. Gene Carter, son of Ann and Claude Carter is first child born in Plantation. Plantation Community Church is formed, services held in Fred C. Peters office
1947 – First homes built by Chauncey Clark; property valued at $200 an acre; two hurricanes completely flood the area.
1945 – Fred Peters has a water control system designed for his property that is still in use today. Peters hires Mr. Pancoast to assist him in creating a city master plan.
1931 – Frederick C. Peters purchases 10,000 acres (40 km2) for $25 per acre; land had been owned by the Everglades Plantation Company (origin of the city’s name); Broward Boulevard is a two-lane road.
1915 – Broward County Created
1911 – Plantation area known as Old Plantation Water Control District. Sewell Locks, first wooden locks in the state, are built on the New River Canal next to State Road 84. Holloway Canal opens.
1906 – Captain Walter Holloway unsuccessfully attempts to drain the Everglades for farming; major canal runs north-south through Plantation.
1838 – Battle of Pine Island Ridge – part of the seven-year Seminole War.